Sunday, March 24, 2013

Martin Luther says to the Devil

"I am a Christian, of the same flesh and blood as is my Lord Christ, the Son of God. Settle your account with him."

"When the devil comes during the night to plague me, I give him this answer: 'Devil, I must sleep now; for this is God's command: Work during the day, sleep at night.' If he does not stop to vex me but faces me with my sins, I reply: 'Dear devil, I have heard the record. But I have committed far more sins which do not even stand in your record. Put them down too. . . . . ' If he still does not stop accusing me as a sinner, I say to him in contempt: "Holy Satan, pray for me! You never have done anything evil and alone are holy. Go to God and acquire grace for yourself. If you want to make me righteous, I tell you: Physician heal yourself."

"The devil has often raised a racket in the house and has tried to scare me, but I appealed to my calling and said, 'I know that God has placed me into this house to be lord here. Now if you have a call that is stronger than mine and are lord here, then stay where you are. But I well know that you are not lord here and that you belong in a different place - down in hell.' And so I fell asleep again and let him be angry, for I well knew that he could do nothing to me."
Ref: How Martin Dealt With the Devil