Monday, August 6, 2012

The Lord our Shepherd (Psalm 23)

Introduction: (God and us)
Father and Child
Husband and Wife
Bridegroom and Bride
Potter and Clay
Vine and Branches
Shepherd and Sheep

A sheep is a dumb animal, and, in Scriptures, a sheep is a Christian who has been called to Christ, the Shepherd.

So here is the relationship of the Lord, our Shepherd, to His own, His flock, His sheep which is us.

Psalm 23
1 The LORD is my shepherd, 

YHWH-Ra or YHWH-Rohi ("The Lord is my shepherd.")

I shall not be in want. 

YHWH-Jireh ("The Lord provides.")

2 He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, 

YHWH-Shalom ("The Lord sends peace.")

3 He restores my soul. 

YHWH-Rapha or YHWH-Rophi or YHWH-Raphega ("The Lord that heals.")

He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake. 

YHWH-Tsidkenill or YHWH-Tsidkenu ("The Lord our rightousness.")

4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. 

YHWH-Shammah ("The Lord is there.")

5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. 

YHWH-Nissi ("The Lord is my banner.")

You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. 

YHWH-M'Kaddesh ("The Lord my sanctifier.")

6 Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever. 

Here is my own composition about Psalm 23, made in 2003. Click the Youtube box.